Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Twin Chins

I knew this day was coming; when your child hits his/her head hard, you expect blood, and then it's time for stitches. I don't know how many times I thought for sure Kennedy or Jackson would need stitches after a fall, and time after time I was shocked to not find blood or even a scratch, ...until now. We were at some friends' house for dinner Saturday night, and Jackson fell on the tile floor, right on his chin. I knew he would need stitches but really didn't want to take him to the ER to wait for hours and then be stuck with a huge bill for a measley laceration under the chin, that hardly anyone will notice after it's healed, and they would probably just glue it together anyway. So the old ER nurse in me, concurred by my friend Kelly, who is also a nurse, decided to take matters in to our own hands.

It's a wonder what super glue, some steri strips, gum and smarties (used for bribes to hold still) can do for a two year-old's chin!

So today I was patting myself on the back for the hundreds of dollars we saved, the time that wasn't wasted waiting in the ER, and thinking "that wasn't so bad for the first open wound we've had." But they say... bad things come in pairs...

While Kennedy was at preschool this afternoon she hit her chin on the play ground, and sure enough, I was having dejavu from the other night! Good thing I have a triple pack of the super glue! Seriously, only 3 days later and the other child ends up with the same thing, in almost the same place! Wow! So some of you may be thinking "bad things come in 2's OR 3's," but Jackson took care of that for me when he broke his cup this evening after dropping it on the floor in the bathroom; I promptly whipped out the super glue again!

Almost "good as new." And here are the Twin Chins:

As for this cute, little cuddly-bear:
London has me a bit perplexed. She is weaning herself at barely 8 months-old and it is making me very sad. I wanted to go for 9 months, like the other two. The worst part of it is she won't take a bottle either and doesn't like formula, even from a sippy or a cup. So I'm trying to sneak formula into everything I can think of because she loves finger foods and eating from a spoon. She will still nurse at night, so I guess I'll try to hold out for my 9 month mark, even though it means getting up 2 or more times a night to feed her. Ahhhh, the things we'll do for our kids.

10 comments:

Conni said...

Hi Holly! Just wanted to say 'nice move' on the Super Glue treatment. We Super Glued Claire's upper eyelid together when she fell and hit it on our coffee table. Same thing...our neighbor was a nurse and I didn't want to run her all the way to the ER, etc, etc. I happened to have a little bottle in the cupboard and SHI-ZAM...her eye was fixed!

Lauren said...

I am impressed! Two in one week is pretty crazy though.

The Sharp Family said...

poor guys, glad they are o.k. London is so cute!

Unknown said...

I wish I could come up with what to do when my kids get hurt, I freak out more than them. Maybe you could give me a few tips. I can't believe how big London is, she is so cute.

Josi said...

Good thing you are such a good mommy and nurse! I never would have known what to do. Hope they feel better!

kelly said...

I am so sorry that Kennedy got hurt. At least you are a pro at doing "surgery" and it cost about $1496 less than the $1500 two stitches "surgery" we paid the Med. I am so glad to know how well the super glue works. You could go into business offering your services...you are getting quite the experience.

Kelly said...

All those years of nursing school and work have paid off. Those owies don't look like much fun. Sorry your baby is growing up too fast!

Lonna said...

Wow, two of the same accidents in less than a week! that is crazy. I am glad that you were able to fix things up so nicely.

Rachel said...

I am impressed you knew what to do. I don't think I would trust myself--but then again I was never a nurse. I'll just call you for instructions when we have our first split chin. Ugh. Nice work with the chins and the cup.

Lisa said...

Kennedy is way too competitive!

That is the cutest picture of London. I love her smiles.