Monday, February 28, 2011

Wintertime in Utah

We took a little jaunt to Utah in December right before Christmas to enjoy some family and snow (Nate and I are pretty sure we're never going back to snowy weather, but that's for a different day). I talked Nate into letting me go snowboarding with my brother the first full day we were there, even though he said he had a "bad feeling" about me going:

(Old picture. Unfortunately I didn't take any that day.)

And ended up with this:


A broken fibula and tibia, and a nice sled ride down the mountain to the first aid clinic. Here is the fancy, high-tech splint they hooked me up with at the clinic:

(Yes, that is a taped cardboard box and carpet foam)

Talk about throwing a wrench in our trip. I felt so horrible, but we all tried to make the best of it. My mother-in-law found a sweet wheelchair for me to use and I was riding around in style (haha).

(Nate's dad, sisters, and their sons)

We went to the Carl Bloch Exhibit at BYU's Museum of Art (sporting the fashionable wheelchair!). We loved the exhibit and wished there was even more artwork to see. We are actually going to the Frederiksburg Castle in Denmark this summer where more of his art is on display. So excited! These were 4 of my favorite paintings: Amazing!


We did a drive-by of the Temple Square Lights (it was too cold to do it on foot!!):



Enjoyed some snow-play with the cousins:





(I had to laugh at this above picture of my sister and her daughter.
Getting kids in snow gear must be up there with dressing an astronaut!!)

Some gingerbread house making:



Bingo:

And great food and company! Nate was a champ, (even with the threat of selling my snowboard and the "I told you so"), with all the extra hassle of my new handicap, and traveling with 3 kids, luggage, a wife on crutches, and the holiday season. And I have gained a new appreciation for a healthy, whole body!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow, I still feel so bad for you. You should have listened to Nate! (Sorry, I thought I would help him out just once. ha ha) But Denmark this summer sounds like so much fun! You're going to have a blast! Kelly just had a recruiter try to get him to go work for them in Norway. Brrrr.....