Ephemeral Angel, Eternal Daughter
By Ben Dower
Will you teach me to be strong, Kate,
with your tiny hands that will never
clench an angry fist or lift a heavy burden
and a baby mouth that will never form an angry word
or hurt another’s feelings in a moment of haste?
Teach me to love unconditionally,
a lesson you were born knowing
but I must repeat again and again.
Struggling to be like you.
There are times when I feel so weak,
helpless and impotent, spiritually lost.
I wish you could show me the way.
Kate Austyn Sharp, ephemeral angel,
remind me to be thankful
that you could bless my life
and to appreciate every moment you were with us.
Teach me to avoid the bitterness you will never feel
and to cherish each day, though you had so few.
You came into this world
with an imperfect heart, but untarnished soul
knowing so much more that I have yet to learn,
needing so little time for the lessons
I grapple with every day.
Will you remind me, Kate,
during my moments of anguish and doubt,
that you can leave so quickly
only because you were born
with wisdom I must yet obtain?
Thus broken, you are strong
and though my heart is healthy,
it feels shattered. Please help me be whole
when I am threatened by dissolution.
Above all, Kate Austyn Sharp,
eternal daughter, teach me to be patient
for that someday when at last
I have learned what you already know,
and we are reunited.
I will recognize you
and you will be so proud of me
and we will be a family once more.


8 comments:
Love her and love the poem! We were wondering if there is a way to do some sort of a Skype/MSN video chat so we can see her in living color. Love, Dan and Lisa
Dear Sharp Family-
I was just taking a moment to catch up with your family. Very surprised to see the new addition. What special people you must be to be able to keep watch over this special daughter of God for such a short time. My prayers are with you that you might cherish and grow from this experiance. She is adorable and beautiful. Holly, if you would I would love to make her a bow for her blessing if you don't already have one? I am sure you have had may offers, but just a thought. You are in the kirk families prayers.
Much love,
Mandi
Kate is more beautiful every day. Her spirit shines through her precious eyes and smile. We are all blessed to know her. Please give her a hug from Paul and me. We love you!
That is beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you over the next few weeks and months. I am anxious to continue reading how she does.
Melanie (Dame) Iverson
That was amazing. I'm happy she's doing well. Much love to you.
Nate and Holly-
She really is a little angel! I love the poem and I am so glad to hear that she is doing well.
We think of your family all the time and you are constantly in our prayers... We are here for you if you need anything.
Sharp Family - What a beautiful angel Kate is. What a tough, wonderful, and incredible blessing she is. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. You are an amazing family, who I look up to and respect. Love Chris and Jill
That is such a beautiful poem, it made me cry. I have been thinking about your family and your adorable little Kate everyday. You guys are so amazing and strong, we love you guys.
Post a Comment