Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January Paradise

Aloha! Nate and I have discovered that January is a great month to take a trip to Hawaii. Perfect weather every day, smaller crowds, whales that journey down from Alaska.....it really seemed like paradise.

We started our trip in Utah where we spent a few days with friends and family before leaving our kids with my parents so Nate and I could spend a week on a cruise of the Hawaiian islands. We spent two days each on Oahu, Maui, the Big Island, and Kauai. We could not have had a better trip, and our kids did great with my parents. (thank goodness cell phone calls were free from Hawaii so we could talk to the kids and keep in touch!)

Here's a list of some of our favorite parts of our trip:
  • Watching an amazing sunset from the top of a 10,000 foot volcano on Maui.
  • Swimming with sea turtles and snorkeling in Maui.
  • Attending church in Maui with the friendliest members we've ever met.
  • So many whales that we lost count and ran out of pictures.
  • Sailing past a live, active volcano at night, watching the orange glow of lava flowing out and down the mountain.
  • A Zodiac raft ride and snorkeling along the beautiful coast in Kona.
  • Spectacular helicopter tour of Kauai.
  • Kayaking together at Hilo Bay and on a river in Kauai.
  • Our self-guided tour of Kauai in a convertible rental car.
  • A fantastic view of the Na Pali coast in Kauai from the cruise ship.
  • Visiting Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial
  • The Polynesian Cultural Center, BYU Hawaii, and the Laie Temple

We also celebrated Jackson's third birthday with our families the day after we got back to Utah. It's been a fun start to 2009....now back to real life!



























12 comments:

Lindsay said...

That looks like an amazing trip. Sorry we weren't able to come to Jackson's party but we appreciate the invite. Mike said it was fun and that your family is doing great.

Unknown said...

Wow, I am so jealous! What a great way to start the year. We went to Maui for our honeymoon and would love to go back someday! Glad you guys got to get away and have so much fun.

Shana said...

I LOVE those pictures... so pretty! Glad you got to take a break with Nate! :)

Michele said...

WOW, how beautiful and what a fun trip. I am so glad that you and Nate were able to take this special trip together.

The Sharp Family said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, great pictures.

Katy said...

Dan and I had a GREAT time when we went too. It is amazing that people get to live there all the time. We could have lived without the snorkeling (ask Dan about his experience) but I loved everything else. The USS Arizona and Missouri were my favorite but I do love how every picture looks like a postcard. I am so glad that y'all had fun. Sometimes it is nice to have a little time with just your sweetie especially when you have) kids at home.

Lauren said...

Wow...the pictures almost make me feel like I was there..no... not really. I will just let you plan our trip someday:) Sounds like a lot of fun!

Lanea said...

Those are some amazing pictures! We will surely call you when we finally decide whether or not we are going this year to celebrate 10 years of marriage! Wow! Can you believe that?!

Merced said...

Everything looks so beautiful! What a fun vacation for a mother of 3!

Beam Family said...

Sounds like so much fun. I'm jealous. I think the hardest part is trying to get back into life.

Paul and Karen West said...

Great pictures. We found some of the same scenes last week on our journey to Kauai. What a great adventure for you to experience together! Life should be full of fun! Was great to spend time with your family before and after your cruise. We love you and look forward to more great times together...soon! Love Mom & Paul

akdoxey said...

Wow- that sounds simply perfect. How fun that you were able to spend some great time together. The pictures are beautiful.