Friday, June 13, 2008

Hold the Salmonella




Our first attempt at a vegetable garden has been pretty successful so far this year, although Nate says he could go the rest of his life without eating another piece of zucchini. Maybe it's been a little too successful. :) We picked all those tomatoes in one day this week. Little did we know when we planted our tomato plants in March that the timing would work out just right to let us avoid the salmonella scare while still making home-made salsa with all our own tomatoes (yum!) and putting fresh sliced tomatoes on a grilled hamburger. Now we know why John Denver wrote that song about home grown tomatoes: "What would life be without home grown tomatoes? Only two things money can't buy, that's true love and home grown tomatoes." :)

5 comments:

The Sharp Family said...

That's awesome!!! We hope we have half the success you guys have had.

LIttlemiss said...

I'm jealous. In and Out burgers just aren't the same without the tomato. Send some our way.

Rachel said...

Wow. How does the growing season work in Texas? We'll be there in September....

Dianne said...

Congratulations on your gardening abilities! - I know College Station provides you a good growing advantage, but between your yard's being chosen Yard of the Month, your tomato display, and zucchini report--you've got to have fabulous talent! My tomatoes and zucchini are all vines yet, but even when they are producing--I doubt they'll meet your standards. I love the pictures of the children - summer's swimming, and other activities.

Love,

Dianne

Kelly said...

I so want to grow my own tomatoes! I had a hamburger recently at Sonic and it just wasn't the same without the tomatoes. Congratulations on your bountiful colorful harvest.