Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Love to Read




After Nate and I finished reading Harry Potter #7, which was incredible but I won't say more for those who haven't read it yet, I remembered how much I love to read in those little tidbits of time that pop up every once in a while or in the evenings after the kids are in bed. So I started reading a new book that Nate's grandma sent us, thanks Gram, called "A Train to Potevka." It was written by a LDS author, Mike Ramsdell, and is about his experiences as a US intelligence agent in Russia during and after the Cold War. It was a quick read and I found it very interesting and insightful. I not only liked it for its history but also because the author subtly added testimony and gospel to his experiences, which were very intense and hard at times.





I wanted to share a quote from the book that really touched me. After an extremely difficult experience and realization of God's love the author wrote this:



"One of the greatest gifts that God gives to each of us is the love we share with our family, friends, and fellowmen. It is this divine gift of love that enriches us, gives meaning and purpose to life, and makes it all worth living. Everything else in life is secondary. Everything. And when our time here on earth is over, our lives will not be measured by the riches we accumulate, the honors we receive, the degrees we acquire, or the porfessional success we achieve, but by our capacity to love and be loved."


At the beginning of each chapter he included a different quote. Here are two of my favorites:

"A joy that is shared is a joy made double." English Proverb

"In spite of everything I still believe people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I've never heard of that second book, but it sounds like a good one to check out. Great quotes, too. I've been to "Het Achterhuis," where Anne Frank lived.