Friday, August 15, 2008

Book Review

So it really hasn't taken me this long to re-join the living, ...and I'll have to say that Nate's post was a bit of an exaggeration. :) LOL. During the 3 days that I read Breaking Dawn everyone still ate three meals a day, children were dressed, and the house didn't fall into disarray. We also paid a visit to the doctor for Kennedy, and I was actually up most nights while Kennedy and London played tag-team between every 2-3 hour wakings for breathing treatments (Kennedy) or feeding/comforting because of teething (London). Needless to say, we all survived. Poor Kennedy's asthma got pretty severe because of an allergic reaction to omnicef (we already knew she was allergic to penicillin). We're now 2 weeks out from the initial reaction and she no longer needs the nebulizer or her inhaler (yeah), but the skin sensitivity remains, although it is much better as well. Some of you may remember her having this reaction before, but the doctors all thought it was a reaction to a virus--nope! it was omnicef and we definitely won't make that mistake again.



London has started rice cereal and loves it, as well as playing with the spoon. And she also has two new teeth on the bottom, her first of many.


Kennedy loves feeding London her cereal and sometimes it's a battle over who gets to do it. :) If it didn't get so messy I would let her do it all the time, especially with how cute the two of them look while doing it.



As far as Breaking Dawn goes, overall I liked it and I thought it had good closure since it was the last book of the series. But I have to admit that the first 1/2 drove me crazy and I was a bit disturbed at some things. The second 1/2 improved drastically but still by the end I think my two favorite characters, Alice and Edward, were robbed and didn't get as much action and I wish there would have been more from them instead of so much from Jacob and Bella. I will list the things I Liked, Loved, and Hated next, so if you haven't read it yet and don't want to know any details, don't read on:
Didn't Like:
Most of the honeymoon- too many details in some spots, yuck! (all I could think of were the YW in our ward who like reading these books too.) Granted, I think SM did a good job at illustrating that they were now married and that Bella was only able to get up off the floor because she knew how committed and tied Edward was to her in every way now, etc.
The "confrontation" with the Volturi- I wanted more action.
The lack of involvement of Alice.
The definite lack of Edward- you can never go wrong with more Edward, even though he was obviously there through the whole book, he really didn't DO a whole lot, or have any true dilemmas like in the past.
Hated:
The whole pregnancy and birth.
Pathetic Edward, "the burning man" (but I asked myself, what else could he have done in the situation and I don't have an answer, it just bugged me still).
Bella during the pregnancy.
Jacob imprinting on the BABY! (I threw the book down at this point)
Liked:
That Rosalie and Bella finally resolved their differences.
That Bella's dad could still be a part of her life and meet his grandchild.
That Bella was able to have a baby- in the past 2 books I always thought it was sad that she would give up being a mother by becoming a vampire, but having a half-human, half-vampire baby was kinda weird for me, especially after the creepy dreams that she had been having.
Bella's self control after becoming a vampire (even though I know this bugged some people, I thought it was cool).
The "confrontation" with the Volturi, since it never really turned in to a fight, but I wish it would have been a little more with some better action. I felt like I was reading about the Xmen or Fantastic Four while reading about the Storm Boy, Vision Lady, and Bella's shield. (I liked all of this but wanted more and thought it was a little too sci-fi.)
Loved:
The wedding and all the details Alice put in to it and how happy Edward and Bella were.
The fast cars.
Bella becoming a vampire.
Edward as he tried to save Bella after she gave birth and then waiting for her to wake up.
Bella losing it on Jacob after finding out about the imprinting.
Bella and Edward's cottage

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Okay, I looked away because I haven't read it yet. I'm going to have to read it soon so I can see what your comparisons are to my thoughts.

Poor Kennedy!

Katy said...

So everyone has been raving about this series so I just started reading it. What is nice is that it will give me something to do while Danny is so far away (because when he is here he makes fun of me) but I must admit that I do feel a little silly wasting my time reading a vampire love story when I have so much other stuff to do. Hope all is well with y'all. We might actually come to visit someday since we are cutting the drive in half. Hugs and love to your kiddos.
Katy

kelly said...

I finished the book last week and I love how it ended. I am sad that there isn't another one of her books to read right now. You'll have to let me know if you have any ideas for a good book.

Shana said...

Hi Holly! I was so happy to read your comment on my blog. I hope you are all doing well. London is so cute and getting so big! I'll check back soon. :)

Liz said...

Hey Holly!
I enjoyed reading your post... I had a lot of the same opinions as you... I have to say though, when all is said and done, those books are definitely classics to me. :)

Jennifer said...

Holly- hello, this is Jennifer (we served together in Austin's YW ward a few years ago) ...I saw your family's blog on Kelly's website. It is wonderful to see your beautiful family and how it has grown since we first met. We are now living in Virginia and enjoying it. I appreciate your entry about the new SM book, Breaking Dawn. I, too, like Kelly, looked away on the details you gave b/c I haven't finished it. I can appreciate your husband's comments though- Jody laughs at me each night when he's ready to go to sleep and he turns out the light and I pull out my flashlight to keep reading the book. He is soooo ready for me to be finished with it! Take care and best wishes to you and your family. Hopefully Aggieland is being good to you!!

KT said...

Wow so much goes in your life! I read Eldest. I like the books. Your kids are so cute.

Conni said...

I loved your book review...I'm with you on almost every point. I have mixed feelings about it. Have you read "The Host?' I'd recommend that one. I think you'll like it. ;) TC~

Kelly said...

I finished it last week and just remembered that I still had not read your comments. I agreed with a lot of what you said. About the only thing that I disagree with you about is that fact that I thought the Voluturi confrontation was just right. I was dreading reading about anything awful and was so glad I didn't have to, so that was just right to me. I cried when Bella and Edward and everyone were saying their goodbyes before the battle began, especially when Edward referred to Jacob as his son. So touching. The cottage sounded so lovely and that closet. I love Alice's style. I was glad that Charlie got to be a part of their lives, but couldn't relate to not wanting to know what the heck was going on, with an attitude of the less I know, the better. I so don't get that. I liked the books and am very excited about the movie in November!